Postcode Search
Search site


The Environmental Protection Team has specific legal powers within the Prevention of Damage by Pests Act 1949, to take steps to ensure that owners and occupiers of land keep their land free from large numbers of rats and mice. The legislation provides the Council with powers to require the owner or occupier of land infested by rats or mice to take any steps that are deemed to be necessary to deal with the infestation.

Please note that Mendip District Council no longer provides a pest control service.

What we can help with
What we don't deal with
  • Rat/Mice infestations where the source has been identified (from commercial premises)
  • Pest infestations from domestic properties - contact our Housing Team on 0300 303 8588
  • Nuisance associated with insect infestations (from commercial premises)
  • Removal of Insects - including bees, wasps and ants
  • Birds and small mammals

How do I make a complaint about pests?

In order to make a complaint about pests we will need to know:

  • Your name and address 
  • Telephone number
  • Email address (if you have one)
  • The address (or site) where the infestation is coming from
  • How long the problem has been occurring
  • How the problem is affecting you
  • Anything you have tried to help solve the problem (e.g. speaking to your neighbour)

Mendip District Council do not take anonymous complaints. We will need the above details from you in order to pursue a complaint, and any details given will remain confidential and will not be disclosed by us without your permission.

What we can do

Our usual process is as follows:

  • We will discuss the problem with you and agree the next step. At this stage advice and a chat may be enough, then we will close your case but keep the computer record.
  • Normally the next step is to send a letter to the party you have made the complaint about. We will advise them a complaint has been made and we may need to send you log sheets to fill in to show when the problem occurs and, very importantly how it affects you. This often sorts the problem out and we hear no more and close the file.
  • Once we have some evidence of the problem a qualified and experienced officer will decide on the next steps. Sometimes it is clear that we cannot take any more action and you will be informed of that and you may be given information on how to take your own private action.
  • If the evidence suggests that we can investigate further, we may visit you. If the problem persists and our officers observations indicate the likelihood of a problem severe enough for formal action a legal notice may be served to assist in achieving a remedy.  We will endeavour to keep you informed throughout the process to ensure that you have a good understanding of how our investigation is proceeding.

How to contact us

You can contact us on any of the below methods or by completing the form at the bottom of this page:

Telephone: 0300 303 8588


Post: Environmental Health, Mendip District Council, Cannards Grave Road, Shepton Mallet, BA4 5BT


Last modified: 29 June 2018