Toggle menu

Abandoned Vehicles

An abandoned vehicle is regarded as a vehicle that has no known owner and that has been abandoned.

Abandoned vehicles can be reported to Mendip District Council, you can report it to us by using the online form below. 

Report an Abandoned Vehicle online

It is an offence to abandon a motor vehicle or vehicle parts on any land in the open air, or on any land forming part of the highway. This can result in a fine up to £2,500 or a three-month prison sentence. 

Suspecting a vehicle has been abandoned 

Before you report an abandoned vehicle to us, check that it doesn't belong to a neighbour, or someone visiting a neighbour or local business.   

A vehicle can be parked on any public road or highway for an indefinite period, provided the vehicle has the following: 

Occasionally there are situations where a vehicle may still be investigated or classed as an abandoned vehicle. An example of this is when a vehicle is in such a condition it be deemed as unroadworthy. 

If you know who owns the vehicle, then it is not abandoned. We cannot get involved in disputes over parking. 

When reporting a vehicle as abandoned, you will need to provide us with the following information: 

  • Your name, address and/or phone number
  • The vehicle registration number 
  • The colour, make and model (e.g. red Ford Focus) 
  • The exact location of the vehicle 
  • The condition of the vehicle (any noticeable damage) 
  • How long the vehicle has been there without moving? 
  • Has the vehicle been used at any time? 

If the abandoned vehicle you have reported to us subsequently moves, let us know to help us avoid making unnecessary visits to investigate.  

If a vehicle is reported to us as abandoned, we will visit the location and investigate. We will then decide on the appropriate course of action. 

Our options include: 

  • removing the vehicle 
  • writing to the last registered keeper asking them to contact us 
  • writing to the landowner 
  • taking no further action if we have established the vehicle is not abandoned. 

Burnt-out vehicles

Do not touch burnt-out vehicles. The police may want to investigate burnt-out vehicles as a criminal offence first. Please report this using 101 or online report an abandoned vehicle to the Police

Reporting an untaxed vehicle to the DVLA 

Untaxed vehicles or vehicle shown as Sorn that are parked on the highway that are not abandoned, can be reported to the DVLA anonymously giving the same information as above:

GOV.UK: Check is a vehicle is taxed  

Reporting an abandoned vehicle causing an obstruction 

If an abandoned vehicle is causing an ongoing obstruction or is parked illegally, report it to Avon & Somerset Police using their general enquiry form