The Public Sector Equality Duty is made up of a general equality duty which is supported by specific duties.
Under the terms of the specific duty, the Council must:
- Prepare and publish one or more objectives that will support the council in meeting the requirements of the general Equality Duty
- Ensure that those objectives are specific and measurable
- Publish those objectives in such a manner that they are accessible to the public
Development of Mendip's Equality Objectives
As part of the Equality Duty, Mendip compiled and published a wide variety of equality related data on the 31st January 2012 and refresh this data on an annual basis.
The Equality Objectives for Mendip District Council were updated, agreed and adopted by the Member Equality Steering Group, Scrutiny and Cabinet in February 2014.
The Equality Objectives 2014 - 2016
Please click the icon below to view the equality objectives for Mendip for 2014-2016. The plan will run for 2 years with an annual review process built in to the monitoring and reporting schedule to ensure that this plan reflects the correct aims and priorities.
Monitoring of progress
When monitoring these objectives and associated actions, the council will:
- Report on the progress against the objectives and associated actions on a quarterly basis to the Member Equality Steering Group
- Report against the objectives and associated actions on an annual basis to Cabinet
- Publish these monitoring reports within the relevant area of our website
- Review these Equality Objectives on an annual basis
Working in Partnership
As part of Mendip District Councils commitment to working together with partners to improve outcomes for its customers and wider community they are part of two partnership. The Somerset Equality Officers Group aims to work together to improve the lives of people within Somerset. Information on the groups can be found here:
Mendip District Council is also part of the Somerset Clinical Commissioning Group's Engagement and Advisory Group. Agendas and minutes can be found here: