I think my landlord is harassing me, what should I do?

Measures could include keeping records, writing to your landlord and getting an injunction.

Keep Records

Ask your landlord to put all communication with you in writing and keep copies of all correspondence. This can be used as evidence should the harassment continue. You should also keep a diary of all incidents, including dates and times, which can also be used as evidence.

Contact your landlord

Write to your landlord to ask them to stop the actions you feel are harassment. If this does not resolve the situation, you can write to them again stating you will be seeking legal action if they do not stop the actions you feel are harassment.

You can contact you're the Housing Options team on 0300 303 8588. We will arrange an appointment to see you to take your details and investigate whether you may be being harassed. We are likely to contact your landlord to discuss the issue and see if we can resolve the situation in the first instance.

Get an injunction

An injunction is a court order that orders someone to do something or stop doing something. You'll need the help of a solicitor or adviser to obtain an injunction.

Legal aid is available for injunctions against landlords who harass tenants. You may be eligible for legal aid if you claim certain benefits or have a low income.

Contact  Civil Legal Advice to find out if you qualify for legal aid to help you get an injunction.

Return to Illegal Eviction page