I don't have a local connection but want to live in Mendip

You will not qualify to go onto the housing register for a social tenancy without a local connection. You can arrange a planned move to Mendip by looking for private rented homes. It is likely you will need to save up yourself towards the cost of a move to Mendip.

If you are going to need help to pay your rent through Housing Benefits or Universal Credit, you should check the local housing allowance rates before signing a new tenancy agreement or committing to moving.

If you are homeless or threatened with homelessness we would recommend that you make a homeless application in your home area. The options offered to you may vary depending on where you apply for assistance. If you make a homeless application to Mendip and you don't have a local connection to us, it will result in us making a referral back to your home authority.

Return to Local Connection page