Domestic Abuse and Your Housing Options
You may be considering leaving an abusive partner, or you may be looking for advice on securing safe housing. Your housing options will vary depending on your particular circumstances, so we will always advise you speak directly to a Housing Options Officer to get accurate advice tailored to your specific situation.
The possible options could include:
- providing increased security in your current home
- providing you with advice and support on legal measures to keep a perpetrator of domestic abuse away from you and your home
- support to help you plan a move if you are not in immediate risk of violence
- one to one support to look at options available to you including private renting
- support to leave your home and place you in a refuge which can provide safe accommodation with specialised support for women fleeing domestic abuse, or to access other safe temporary accommodation
- referral to MARAC which is a multi-agency panel who meet to discuss high risk cases and identify the options available.
You may be able to get support with finding a private rented property, and in some circumstances financial assistance to help you with the initial costs. We would also ensure that any tenancy you move to is affordable for you.
Further information on Renting Privately
You may also be eligible for Homefinder Somerset, however due to the limited number of properties and the demand on this type of housing, you may find a private rented property much more quickly.