Toggle menu


We will do all that we can to remove graffiti from our own property within seven days and we can advise private owners to try and achieve the same; however, the responsibility for removal from other properties lies with the respective owner. Graffiti is in some circumstances considered criminal damage by the police and therefore if your property is affected this should be reported to them.

Who to report Graffiti to

Mendip District Council aren't responsible for all the Graffiti in the district and are only responsible for Graffiti on Council property. You should report Graffiti to the owner of the property it's on:

Graffiti and the law

In England and Wales, graffiti is considered an act of criminal damage under the Criminal Damage Act 1971 and offenders can be punished with an unlimited fine.

Since 2004 it has also been an offence for shop-keepers to sell spray-paint to under-16s. In England and Wales, the offence is under section 54 of the Anti-social Behaviour Act 2003, with a maximum fine of £2500.

Graffiti on historic buildings

Many buildings throughout the Mendip District Council area are Listed (historic buildings); it may therefore in these instances be advisable to contact the Council's Conservation Section prior to starting any work. 

How to report graffiti

You can report a problem with graffiti on Council property using our online form below, by email, telephone or post. Please give as much information as you can. For Instance:

  • Location e.g. town or village and road name
  • Description of graffiti and is it offensive?