HMO Licensing

Licensing for Houses in Multiple Occupation (HMOs).

Your property will require a licence if all of the following apply:

  • it has any number of storeys
  • it's rented to five or more people from two or more households
  • it has shared facilities like a kitchen, bathroom or WC

Licensing will also apply to blocks of purpose-built flats where there are up to two flats in the block and one or both are occupied as an HMO. Government guidance is available by clicking this link HMO and residential property licensing reform..


A household is a family, cohabiting couple or separate individuals.

A single household can consist of: husband, wife, co-habitee, child, step-child, foster-child, grandchild, parent, step-parent, foster-parent, grandparent, brother, half-brother, sister, half-sister, aunt, uncle, niece, nephew, cousin.

For example, four friends are four households, even if they share a tenancy.  

Apply for a Licence

Apply for a House in Multiple Occupation (HMO) Licence.
If you suspect a property is an House in Multiple Occupation (HMO) and is not licensed when it should be, please let us know.
Information about licensing of Houses in Multiple Occupation.