Somerset Armed Forces Community Covenant
The Somerset Armed Forces Community Covenant brings together charities, local authorities, other public sector organisations, businesses, communities, individuals and the military in a pledge of support between local residents and the armed forces community in the county.
You are part of the armed forces community if you are serving or have served in the Army, Navy or Air force. The armed forces community also includes families and dependents, reservists, veterans and cadets. A veteran is defined as anyone who has served in the armed forces.
How are Mendip are helping armed forces?
As part of Mendip's Council Tax Support scheme, in calculating entitlement, all a person's War Pensions / War Disablement pension is completely disregarded. This shows Mendip's commitment to providing extra financial help to Mendip residents who receive these pensions.
Mendip also disregards these pensions in housing benefit calculations.
How local people can help
Local people already support the Armed Services community by:
- taking part in military events and celebrations
- visiting local tourist attractions such as the Fleet Air Arm Museum at Yeovilton.
- attending homecoming and repatriation ceremonies.
- providing practical support to the Armed Forces community, particularly individuals and their families.
Future activities could include:
- running youth groups or sports clubs for the children of serving soldiers
- creating support networks for families of serving soldiers
- helping ex-servicemen or women to take part in local activities
- providing training and employment opportunities for those about to leave the Armed Forces or veterans
The benefits are intended to be mutual, with the local Armed Forces community committed to getting involved in local projects, educational and sporting events.
Who can take part?
- Individual members of the public
- Charities and community groups
- Colleges and schools
- Businesses such as shops and restaurants
- Health service providers
- Town and parish councils
- Local Authorities
The Somerset Armed Forces Community Covenant is co-ordinated by Somerset County Council.