Shape the District 2017-20
On 17 July 2017, the Council adopted an ambitious new Corporate Strategy, setting a clear direction for what it wants to achieve over the next three years.
Shape the District outlines where the council wants to be and how it intends to get there, building on Mendip's significant achievements to date in securing public services in the district through innovation and new ways of working.
The strategy focuses on the council's two new corporate priorities - Transformation and Inclusive Growth - and includes a series of commitments from the council.
- The council will:
- Pursue a prudent approach to investment and other commercial opportunities, to boost income and/or safeguard services
- Develop and deliver strategic options for services, exploring a range of models that could include commissioning, selling, merging or divesting
- Work with our full range of partners to coordinate and deliver services focused on specific groups, improving customer experiences while reducing duplication
- Continue to develop Shape Mendip as an exemplar of public service best practice, enhancing the district's reputation as a great place to live and work
- Develop and train our staff and councillors to build the right skills, to deliver our strategy and strengthen our culture of innovation and collaboration
The council will:
- Work with our business community to deliver the ambitions of our Economic Strategy and increase the economic vibrancy of the Mendip area
- Work with our communities to deliver successful place shaping through vehicles such as the Local Plan, towns working groups and Neighbourhood Plans
- Challenge our partners to fully deliver the Somerset Sustainability and Transformation Plan and adapt our services to support the actions to prevent ill health
- Use our position as a community leader to influence partners who can in turn deliver outcomes that improve the wellbeing of Mendip residents
- Work at county, regional and national level to build communities where people live well in good quality homes with a network of support.