Guidance for Tenants

Information for people living in rented property.

How to rent a safe home - Guidance to help current and prospective tenants ensure that a rented property is safe to live in.

How to rent - Guidance for people looking for a house or flat to rent.

Private Renting - Guidance on your rights and responsibilities as a tenant.

Concerns about your housing conditions

If you have a problem in your rented property inform the landlord as soon as possible in writing.  Allow your landlord reasonable time to do the repair which will depend on what work is required. 

If your landlord doesn't do the work in a reasonable time then the Council may be able to use their legal powers to improve the condition of your home.

Contact the Private Sector Housing Team using the online complaint form, email or telephone 0300 303 8588 to discuss your concerns.